Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sraying Primer on the Cabinets

Hello My Dear Readers-
Might I suggest you rent a very high-end professional paint sprayer if you choose to spray paint your cabinets or other items in your home. I bought a Wagner that I had read favorable reviews on. Funny, how all the reviews were bad at the end of yesterday when I looked it up again.

paintonfeet

Yesterday was a comedy of errors! I couldn't find the paint sprayor, I spilled a can of expensive PrimeLock primer from Benj Moore. I spilled some mineral spirits as well and ran out of them to clean the paint sprayer. I had to rush to the store to buy some more spirits before the oilbased primer dried in the gun and damaged it. Agggh!

After 3 trips to BM and 1 trip to Sherwin Williams, I ended my day covered in primer. My feet up to my ankles were solid white. My toddler looked at me in disgust as I showed her how grass was stuck to the bottom of mommy's foot. As I sprayed primer on the cabinets layed out in driveway ontop of blocks and random peices of wood, I kept dragging the extension cord through some of the cabinet that were already painted. The sprayer frequently "burped" air causing it to spit out drips of paint on what looked like a perfectly sprayed cabinet. I stepped in paint that had spilled on drop clothes, I breathed in fumes, I got paint on my glasses and face and all over my legs and arms.

Mr. BK stayed inside with the child and suggested many times that we should have thought this out better. Ughhhhhh! Procrastination seems to always be his answer. He kept saying if they were up higher we'd have less bugs trying to land on them. Well, maybe so, but I figure bugs can still fly waist high had they been on some sawhorses (which we do not own).

Hopefully things will go better this next round. I plan to either rent a sprayor or handpaint. I'm using Muralo paint from BM which is an excellent self-leveler. I think I bought high-gloss. Below is a picture of a couple of cabs sprayed with primer. When the gun was working correctly, I have to admit it did look really professional.

primed-cabs

I put on socks and shoes, but wore shorts to the store to buy some coffee icecream. People looked at me weird. That is when I noticed I had paint all down the backs of my legs. The bath with a vat of MOJO didn't remove all the paint. The picture of my toes is from today.

No comments: