Thursday, August 12, 2010

Choosing Wall and Ceiling Colors

Hello There! Happy Thursday.

The Color Scheme - Still Choosing Between the Greens
Today's post concerns paint colors, color schemes, and my upcoming plan. I love color and have been studying up on it and collecting paint chips for months now. But, I'm terrible at it. There, I said it! Our dining room was red when I moved in, I painted it purple, yellow, tried a faux denim panel treatment (don't ask), and finally grabbed a chip of greyish brown and painted livingroom, hallway, foyer, and dining area different shades from the same paint chip. I don't remember the name of the color or which line it came from though. Oh well, I"m tired of it anyway. I love color....but I have to start admitting that I"m not good at choosing it for my home. Or I haven't been up until now (fingers crossed). Mr. BK is colorblind so he's no help. I sometimes wonder what I actually look like to him???

Example of our crazy art!
 I love how the bright green and army greens
are combined, yet it seems scary
to do this in a whole large room.
I hired a Benjamin Moore decorator to come over for two hours and advise me on my home. After she left I was wondering if I'd just wasted some green-- but as time passed her message to me began to resonate. I have a small house with furniture that is too big, so I should choose light colors if my goal is to have an airy, serene, comfortable house. We have vivid tastes in art (shown in image to the right), so it'll POP if I use a softer color on the walls. She kept choosing what I thought were boring colors...but I began to realize I needed to choose colors that blend my surroundings and help create an atmosphere I"m trying to go for which is light and airy and soothing. Sort of how you feel when you go to a beach house but Mr. BK won't let me do beach theme bc we don't live near the coast. I used to...I miss it so. Ms. Decorator told me I should NOT just be choosing dark saturated colors bc I love the color. If I'm dying to do a darker color, she suggested I use it for a smaller area like the bathroom. So..... my original Martha S colorscheme is out. I had chosen colors from her woodsy scheme that has leaves in the corner. 

So, my couch is an olivey army green velvet and she suggested I pick a wall color for that room that was a lighter value/shade/hue (I am not sure which word fits here --you can see how the months of studying really stuck in my brain, can't you?). I'll go with shade. I'm to choose a lighter shade of this olivey green couch's color and use it on the walls. I could even choose an even lighter shade of it for the ceiling. I couldn't tell what the colors she suggested looked like from the Internet, so because SW actually gave me a whole color deck fan thingy, I decided to use their colors as the ones to choose from. I then spied a book that had the tannish green color being used on the cover (see below). It also had some other colors that I liked with it. I decided to match up a gold and blue with the book and match up the green hue to couch. You can see the book here (I blurred out title bc of legal ramificatons if there are any?) Someday if I learn how to do a giveaway I'll have to see who can send me the title of this book- LOL.


On to the renovated kitchen dining combined area.....Ms. Decorator told me my chandy, a birthday gift from two years ago, looked dated? I decided she was wrong. I would love to replace it with a blown glass chandelier or one with crystals and a drumshade around it...but need more mula, mula, mula. (Mr. BK already almost died when I went out and purchased a new drill and weedeater the other day. Don't ask permission, ask forgiveness instead. This philosophy was taught to me by a very successful business woman friend.) I do hate this chandy though for the simple reason that it gives off no light. I'm going to try putting in some brighter bulbs.

I showed the decorator some pics I love of kitchens that use a red and blue color scheme. She thought it'd work fine. Yippee!!! Wanna see pics of my inspiration kitchens? Well....I am scared of getting sued. I am currently asking permission to use them first...but here is where you can go to see them....

Image 1: It's called the Park Avenue dining room and it's designer is Katie Ridder. There is a gorgeous blown glass chandelier that is white and red. The room is painted blue and there are green curtains. This lady really knows how to combine colors!! Until I receive permisson to use her image, you can see the room in a post over at Cococozy's blog here. It's the bottom image. I'm hoping if I use some red in the kitchen it'll be ok and flow alright with the adjacent rooms. I figure red and green go together and since the light green room will be beside the light blue kitchen it'll be ok.

Image 2: I also love the idea of bringing red into the dining area using some red bamboo chairs that I think might be called Chinese Chippendale chairs. Click below to see the image using these. I'm not sure who to ask for permission to post the image and until I get better at understanding what images I can legally use I'll err on the side of caution :) I saw it somewhere and saved it in my house and yard ideas file.

Well, enough about color for now. I have some "real" work to do . TTFN, Michele

No comments: