Sunday, July 18, 2010

Kitchen Update: The Day the Cabinets Arrived

Since I've been working like a dog and am catching you up on all our kitchen update stories, my prose is in past-tense, sorry. The day the cabinets arrived was a happy day...but a crazy one too. That same day Mr. Buzzkill (who was NOT a buzzkill that day) said we should go ahead and buy the flooring since we had just been paid. BAM...I was off like a shot buying those suckers and begging the manager to let my husband pick up the 46 boxes later that day. Manager was adamant we had to get them THAT day. I was terrified someone else would decide to do their flooring in the same stuff and we would not have enough. Well, I made it. Yay! Then , ring ring, it was Fed Ex or UPS? calling to tell me they were arriving with my cabinets! OMG, they were a day or two earlier than I was told. I was also told we couldn't keep them in the basement for any length of time because of the moisture. Suddenly we had no walking room in our house and we were all very tired. Luckily my teenage nephews agreed to come over and help us move the cabinets upstairs and my brother arrived (I forgot he was staying with us overnight to attend a convention in town) to book it down to Sam's and get the floor.

The cabinets ARE beautiful. Because we are going to paint them ourselves the price dropped like a rock. They were under 5K and have plywood on all sides, dovetailed drawers, Blum hardware, finished maple insides, gorgeous detailing on the outside, and we got tons of Rev A Shelf add-ons. I was and still am in awe. Putting them together (except for the lazy susan) has been a breeze. We have everything together except for the pantry at this point. We also have not installed a drawer, the doors, or any rev a shelf equipment. I have to say I've been very impressed with the service thecabinetjoint has provided. I have pestered one of the owners to death with questions and I am really a small time sale compared to others who order from them. He has been timely and polite with all of his responses. Also when we had a piece missing, he had another sent to us immediately. When we had one piece that was cracked, BAM, he sent another no questions asked. I get the keep the cracked piece. I am planning on repairing it with woodfiller and using it as a mirror frame I think.

I am planning to prime these beautiful cabinets with PrimeLock from Benj Moore, paint them with Muralo Paint from Benjamin Moore using a Wagoner Sprayer, and then I'll lightly add some pewter/gray colored glaze. Fingers crossed all this works!

IMG_0409_1resized

IMG_0410resized

No comments: