Friday, October 8, 2010

Latest Update

I hope to blogging regularly again soon. I have been overwhelmed with my life lately as the kitchen remodel from hell continues. I am so regretting trying to paint our own kitchen cabinets. We envisioned spraying them and having them turn out like the ones in the store look. Well....so far that is not the case.

On piece of advice, DO NOT use a Wagoner Sprayer that cost 100 or less to paint cabinets! We purchased a Graco Sprayer from SW next for around 200. Still not perfect, but may be user error adn the fact that we have no area in our home that doesn't have some dust floating around. Aggghhhhh! For the money we've spent we could have paid a painter to do this. I am distressing them now, but the process is a long one and requires meticulous attention to detail. Can't wait to finish!

So, be patient with me my dear small group of readers. I will return soon with more posts and more projects.

TTFN,
Michele

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just yesterday I asked Dad how difficult he thought it would be for us to sand and paint a book self/gun cabinet unit in our office. He suggested taking it somewhere to have it sprayed. I thought he was over reacting, surely we could do it ourselves and save $. After reading your blog . . . . maybe I should at least get a price on having it sprayed. thanks for making me think, WI.

Michele said...

Dear Anonymous,
You know, if I had it to do over again, I might do this. Buy some really high quality paint like the Muralo Waterbourne paint I purchased from BM- though it's getting more difficult to find. It does level out nicely. I'd roll on some primer, maybe two very thin coats. Or just one? Sand it ultra smooth- from 200s in grit up to 400 grit. Then add alot of paint extender for latex paint into your Muralo. Or get the kind for oil if you decide to use oil paint. Next, try rolling or painting with the most expensive paintbrush you can find. Importantly, remember to apply ultra thin layers of paint, sanding in between. If it's a good smooth paint job, you might only need to use some 400, then 600 grit sandpaper. Or, you can go even smoother with 0000 steel wool. Next coat with high quality poly. Again sand in between. You'll need to finish off with light coat of paint without sanding that last layer before putting on poly. I think this will avoid seeing sanding marks which has been our latest issue. When you apply your last coat of poly you may can get away with only sanding with 0000 steel wool and not having to coat with another layer. Just depends if you can still see scratch marks.(I've been told if you choose to wipe it on- do it about 3-4 times for kitchen cabinets since they get lots of use).