Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I'm Dreaming of a White Kitchen.....

Well, for reasons best kept to myself, I've moved on in my ongoing hunt for economical, yet attractive and well-made kitchen cabinets. I've decided to order some unfinished cabinets from thecabinetjoint.com. So far they've impressed me with excellent customer service, plus they carry Conestoga cabinets which look awesome and are well made. On our skinny budget, we'll be painting them ourselves. I'll be sure and update you on each major milestone.

As you know from earlier posts, the wall was removed between our kitchen and diningroom. The studs are still there, but we've decided it's best to knock them down and make the rooms look like one big one. Just like our living room...it'll be one big NARROW room. I swear, what was with these people in the 1950s. There are clearly so many better ways to have laid out this home within the same footprint.

I've obsessed over the colors....
Do I want colorful cabinets?
All white?
Black on bottom and white on top?
Stained on bottom and white on top?

At this juncture, I'm now leaning toward all white. I think we should paint our wall cabinets first, then see how the base looks as a light wood color. Maybe use a sample front to try out a few options. If it looks silly, we'll continue painting the remainder of the base cabinets white as well.

Mr. Buzzkill said he felt like he would be walking between two icebergs when I mentioned all white a few months ago, but I think I've worn him down enough now that he's fine with anything. Teehee.

Now for some dreaming....

Love the chandelier...
photo by ooh_foodvia PhotoRee


I have always wanted one of these knife magnets...
photo by thekitchendesigner.orgvia PhotoRee


Love the cabinets that sit on the countertop. Unfortunately, I don't have much space to waste. I guess I'll have to let go of this particular dream. I've thought about adding some corbels to make them look more furniture like though. In addition, I like the wood and stone countertops together. I am planning on adding some sort of rustic wood element to each room in my home.
photo by thekitchendesigner.orgvia PhotoRee

1 comment:

Cody Carini said...

I hope your remodeling would turn out good. It is always good to turn to people with expertise on a matter. Seeking help from others is not tantamount to failure; it just means that we’re not doing it alone. A good design consultant can visit your home, see your space, collect all of your wants and needs, and come up with a plan that will best suit your space, personality, and budget.